Explore Europe: Titisee-Neustadt in the Black Forest Show Notes
Titisee-Neustadt is a great little town to start your Black Forest adventures because he has something for everyone. There is so much we could have talked about in this episode but didn’t have time for so I’m just going to encourage you to visit and find out for yourself!
Podcast Conversation Timeline
0:44 – John and Michelle reveal where we will be exploring today.
1:20 – When is the best time to visit the Black Forest?
1:59 – So, how do you get there?
3:00 – You’ve arrived at The Black Forest…..where do you stay?
4:05 – Can you travel in Germany with Pets?
4:46 – Michelle shares more about her hotly guarded secret …a little guesthouse that she loves in The Black Forest
5:58 – Find out about all the great outdoor activities and attractions that await you on your exploration of the black forest.
6:30 – Hinterzarten 12km Walking Trail/Loop with the old saw mill, Ravenna Schlucht canyon, Hof Gut Sternen Glass Blowing Factory,
9:58 – The infamous cuckoo clocks of The Black Forest
11:15 – Michelle delves deeper into more activities/attractions from the Hinterzarten 12km walking trail…
12:23 – Yes, Michelle is talking all about the world famous Black Forest Gateau – whoop whoop
13:48 – The must-see waterfalls to visit
14:30 – Find out all about the exciting 1,150 metre Gutach tobaggan run (or summer rollercoaster as Michelle likes to call it).
15:06 – All the info y’all need to go skiing in the black forest
15:52 – Hiking in The Black Forest – The Titisee Hike
17:27 – Here we go….it’s food time. Michelle and John get to the ‘bare bones’ of the cuisine available in the area
18:12 – What about the mountain bikers out there? Well, Michelle has you covered in this next section
19:43 – Michelle’s tips for getting the best out of your visit
20:58 – Michelle delves into the history of the Bähnle Radweg mountain bike trail
21:50 – Can you hire a bike in the area?
22:27 – Want to know about the local delicacies? We’ve got you covered
25:27 – How does the money work in The Black Forest? Card vs Cash – the debate continues…
26:25 – Is it a safe place to visit?
26:48 – Do they speak English
27:41 – Michelle shares a great trick to keep the kids entertained
30:16 – The highropes course that will get your adrenaline pumping and perfect for families.
31:32 – Little Folks Trail – wildlife trail for families
32:21 – How about a little sightseeing? Well, the Titisee mini bus trip around the town has you covered. Perfect for little ones who aren’t so keen on the outdoor activities.
33:04 – So, it seems like a pretty full on vacation however, Michelle let’s us in on some perfect relaxing places to let off some steam. Ahhh
35:46 – What other places of interest are in the vincinity of the Black Forest?
37:02 – John adds some extra cuckoo clock interesting facts into the conversation for good measure
37:40 – John tells us about his favourite Christmas market in the area, and it wouldn’t be a podcast without John telling us about the nooks and crannies.
38:17 – So, why is The Black Forest called The Black Forest? Find out here….
39:44 – Michelle’s substainable travel tip: Order ice cream in edible cones and reduce trash!
Thanks so much for listening
Here are the links from our Explore Europe Titisee-Neustadt episode:
- This is the guest house where Michelle stays: http://www.gasthaus-rehwinkel.de
- This is the hike that Michelle did from Hinterzarten through the Löffeltal: https://www.outdooractive.com/de/wanderung/schwarzwald/durch-die-ravennaschlucht-/1372711/
- All about the Heimatpfad (the handworkers area) website only in German: https://www.heimatpfad.de
- Glass blowing factory, Giant Cuckoo Clock and other German products at the lovely Hotgut Sternen hotel in Breitnau: https://www.hofgut-sternen.de/en/hofgut-sternen/
- Ravennaschlucht (Gorge or Canyon): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenna_Gorge
- The brewery in Lenzkirch that Michelle has walked and cycled to: http://www.brauerei-rogg.de
- The campsite at the brewery in Lenzkirch: http://en.camping-kreuzhof.de
- Triberg Waterfall: http://www.triberg.de/index.php?id=278
- Todtnau Waterfall: https://www.blackforest-tourism.com/Media/Attraktionen/Todtnau-Waterfall
- The geocaching website: https://www.geocaching.com/play
- The Action Forest: http://www.action-forest-kletterwald.de
- The Little Folks Trail: http://www.wichtelpfad.info
- The Bike Hire shop: https://www.ski-hirt.de/en/rental/bikerental/blackforest.html
- Badeparadies: https://www.badeparadies-schwarzwald.de/en/
- The Caracalla Spa: https://www.carasana.de/en/caracallaspa/
Are you planning a trip to the Black Forest? We would love to hear all about your trip and any tips you have for fellow explorers. Leave a comment below or tweet us at @explore_europe and use the hashtag #ExploreEurope
Please leave a comment/subscribe/tell a friend
A Massive Thank You For Listening!