Explore Europe: Budapest Show Notes
Budapest is often called the Pearl of the Danube or the Paris of the East. It sits at the crossroads of Western and Eastern Europe and manages to combine old world charm, through its magnificent architecture and grand coffee houses with modern lifestyle, offering trendy cafés, bars and high restaurants and all for a really affordable price.
Podcast Conversation Timeline
00:01 – Welcome to the Podcast
1:46 – Where are we exploring today?
2:31 – The History of Budapest
3:09 – How do you get to Budapest?
3:50 – Ramona gets stuck in with good ole booking.com when it comes to accomodation. But, where should you stay whilst in Budapest? John tells you more…
4:17 – What currency do they use?
4:46 – What should you do when you arrive?
5:22 – John gives you the lay of the land (with a little help of google maps)
6:14 – John’s infamous hop on hop off bus – what do you see and should you do it?
7:39 – Budapest and Communism
8:15 – When is the best time to visit the city?
8:46 – Must see | The natural spas
9:36 – Did you know that Budapest has it’s own version of the statue of liberty? John tells you where you can find it as well as some perfect photo spots.
10:45 – Visit The St. Steven’s Basilica | The main Catholic Church in Budapest
11:11 – Hero’s Square | The Victories Of War | The Buddapest Sign | The Archeangel Gabriel
11:49 – The Budapest Markets and did John love the Hungarian Chilli?
12:29 – Visit the 2nd largest synagague in the world
13:10 – The proud history of the Nobel Prize Laureates
13:55 – Academia and cultural history of Hungary
14:31 – Here we go…it’s food time! What’s the food like and where should you eat?
16:08 – John’s tip to make your trip easier
16:37 – More food glorious food!
17:37 – John explains why you should definitely make it a must- see and visit, ‘The New York Cafe’ whilst you’re visiting Budapest.
19:06 – The Jewish Quarter and the nightlife
19:29 – Hang on, what about fine dining, John?
21:48 – Is Budapest safe to travel to?
22:59 – Do I need to speak Hungarian to visit?
24:22 – Booking with low cost airlines – the pros and cons
27:14 – Any specific visas/passport requirements when visiting?
28:27 – John’s final tips for Budapest
30:43 – Michelle’s sustainable travel tip: Take your own reusable coffee cup with you!
Here are the links from our Explore Europe Budapest episode:
- John flew with WOW airlines but it seems like they don’t fly to Budapest, he of course meant Wizzair instead: https://wizzair.com/
- The hotel where John stayed (he booked via booking.com): http://www.caratboutiquehotelbudapest.com/index.htm?lbl=ggl-en-rmk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqa32wtO52wIVVYfVCh13ZAAHEAAYASAAEgLr1_D_BwE
- The hop on and hop off bus tour: http://www.citytour.hu/en
- The Royal Palace: http://budacastlebudapest.com/open/
- St. Stephen’s Basilica: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen%27s_Basilica
- The mom & pop local restaurant that John recommends: http://hungarikumbisztro.hu/elerhetosegeink.html
- The New York Cafe where John went for breakfast: http://www.newyorkcafe.hu/menu.html
- The fancy restaurant that John visited: https://caviarandbull.com/budapest/
Are you planning a trip to Budapest? We would love to hear all about your trip and any tips you have for fellow explorers. Leave a comment below or tweet us at @explore_europe and use the hashtag #ExploreEurope
Please leave a comment/subscribe/tell a friend
A Massive Thank You For Listening!