Explore Europe: Heidelberg Show Notes
On this episode of Explore Europe we visit the beautiful and historic city of Heidelberg and discover it’s charming streets, bridges, buildings and the castle. You can explore all the main attractions in one day so it’s certainly worth putting into your diary.
Did you know that Heidelberg was host to the U.S. Military since the 7th Army moved it’s HQ there in the 60s right up until USAREUR handed back the keys to all of the installations in 2015?
Here are the links from our Explore Europe Heidelberg episode:
- For finding ‘Happy Weekend’ train tickets: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/regional/weekend-ticket-for-germany.shtml
- The restaurant that Michelle recommends: http://palmbraeugasse.de
- The restaurant and brewery that John recommends: http://www.heidelberger-kulturbrauerei.de/en
- The Philosopher’s Walk: https://www.tourism-heidelberg.com/explore/historical-sights/heiligenberg/philosophers-walk/index_eng.html
- Castle Illumination: http://www.heidelberg-marketing.de/en/events/highlights/castle-illuminations.html
- Heidelberg Castle: https://www.tourism-heidelberg.com/explore/historical-sights/schloss-heidelberg/index_eng.html
- Funicular Railway (to the Castle): https://www.tourism-heidelberg.com/explore/historical-sights/koenigstuhl/funicular-railway/index_eng.html
- United States Army Garrison Heidelberg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Garrison_Heidelberg
Are you planning a trip to Heidelberg? We would love to hear all about your trip and any tips you have for fellow explorers. Leave a comment below or tweet us at @explore_europe and use the hashtag #ExploreEurope
Heidelberg Conversation Stamps
00:01 – Where are we exploring today?
1:11 – Where is Heidelberg, and how do you get there?
1:39 – Traffic and parking
2:07 – Cheap Train Ticket Deals to Heidelberg
2:48 – What is the best public transport for exploring?
3:09 – The Hauptstrasse | – The longest shopping street in Germany!!!
4:13 – Things to see – The Church Of The Holy Spirit | The Market
4:48 – The Karl Theodor Bridge
6:33 – The Christmas Markets at Heidelberg
7:21 – The Philosophers Weg – a trail not for the faint of heart
8:53 – So, what’s the food like in Heidelberg? John and Michelle give you their top recommendations.
12:29 – The History of Heidelberg
14:18 – The Main attraction of Heidelberg is the beautiful castle. Or as it’s called in Germany – The Schloss
14:56 – After all that culture, why not visit the world’s largest wine barrel? John tells us more.
15:27 – How do you get to the top of the castle?
17:15 – Is Heidelberg child-friendly?
18:03 – John’s tips for travelling with little explorers
18:59 – Michelle’s final travel tips to make your visit to Heidelberg exciting and memorable.
20:52 – Michelle’s sustainable travel tip, something to make us all more mindful travellers and reduce our impact on the planet as we explore more of it.
Please leave a comment/subscribe/tell a friend