Explore Europe: Berlin Show Notes
This very first episode of Explore Europe starts in the capital city of Berlin. A fantastic city that is steeped in history, has a long association with the U.S. Military and is full of must-see sights. It’s super easy to get to and very simple to get around. Simply put, Berlin is at the top of the list of places you should visit whilst based in Germany!
Here are the links from our Explore Europe Berlin episode:
- For booking train tickets (aim for three months out for the best deals): https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
- For finding accommodation: booking.com
- This is the hotel where John stayed: http://www.titanic.com.tr/titanicgendarmenmarktberlin/default-de.html
- Hop on/Hop off Bus Tours of Berlin: http://www.berlin-city-tour.de/en.html or https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/berlin-bus-tours
- The restaurant John recommends: http://www.hackethals.de/
- The history of the Berlin Wall: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall
- President John F Kennedy speech at The Brandenburg Gate ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKd50lrROc
- President Ronald Reagan speech at The Brandenburg Gate ‘Mr Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDFX-dNtsM (11:20)
- The Tank ‘stand_off’ at Checkpoint Charlie that Michelle mentions: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/24/berlin-crisis-standoff-checkpoint-charlie
- Check Point Charlie Museum: http://www.mauermuseum.de/en/index.html
- Spy Museum Berlin: http://www.spymuseumberlin.com/en/
- Ka De We famous department store: https://www.kadewe.de
- Rittersport: https://www.ritter-sport.de/en/Visit-RITTER-SPORT/berlin.html
- Sustainable Travel Tip: Refuse the straw! In German when ordering a drink, say ‘Kein Strohalm bitte’. Find out more about the effect straws are having on our oceans and marine wildlife here: http://www.vancouverbc.surfrider.org/straws-suck/
Are you planning a trip to Berlin? We would love to hear all about your trip and any tips you have for fellow explorers. Leave a comment below or tweet us at @explore_europe and use the hashtag #ExploreEurope
Podcast Conversation Timeline
00:01 – Introduction to Berlin
1:28 – The History of Berlin
2:50 – When is the best time to visit?
4:13 – What is the public transport system like?
6:48 – How to book your accommodation
7:37 – Prices of Hotels in the city
8:22 – What is the food like?
8:56 – The Famous Currywurst debate
9:35 – Restaurant recommendations and tips
11:16 – Local Currency and Visa Information
12:13 – Is Berlin a safe city to visit?
12:48 – But, what about the language barrier?
13:35 – Is it family-friendly?
14:35 – The Hotspots of Berlin
15:24 – The infamous Brandenburg Gate and why it’s a must see when visiting Berlin
17:13 – Checkpoint Charlie – what links does it have to the USA and why should you visit?
18:25 – The fall of the Berlin Wall
20:01 – What does John think about spies and how does James Bond connect to Berlin?
20:28 – Michelle and John get cultured and discuss the wall art of Berlin
21:02 – How Berlin is rebuilding from the war – brick by brick
21:53 – Don’t miss these must-see places to visit in Berlin…
22:10 – The Television Tower (Fernsehturm)
22:50 – The shopping mall of Europe – KaDeWe
23:42 – A whole section on German Chocolate – yum!
25:04 – The beautiful architecture of Berlin
25:39 – What is there to see at the Alexander Platz?
26:40 – What’s the best mode of transport to use when getting around the city?
28:17 – Don’t miss Michelle’s sustainable travel tip, something to make us all more mindful travellers and reduce our impact on the planet as we explore more of it.
Please leave a comment/subscribe/tell a friend